Monday, May 10, 2010

City of God

It had been quite a trip. I went there with lots of uncertainties. Would I be of any benefit to the people? I can't understand, nor can I speak Bahasa Indonesian. Even at the most optimistic level, if I were able to speak God's Word, would it make a difference? Pastor Ronny is definitely more able to do that! And even if God wanted to speak a Word in season, why would He call someone all the way from Singapore, travelling 11 hours on the road to speak it? He has so many (better) saints there!

Still, with Dean's encouragement, and God clearing the way, I sent despite not knowing exactly why.

And stepped right into a different world. It was really a small glimpse of what the Kingdom of God is like. God reigned in that place. It was a place which God built - without His provision, none of it would had been possible. But that was just the start. He who began a good work brings it to completion. He sustains it by providing for every meal, every repair, every brick, every servant. He is magnified in the children's praises, He is remembered at every meal's prayer, at every scripture reading. By their love for one another, the children show themselves to be His disciples. They are united as one family. There is "no exact job description for anyone, but everyone looks around and helps out where there is a need" (Ronny, roughly quoted). Those who are great serve - by very practical means like washing and sweeping and carrying bricks. Those who are least are treated like the firsts, being given the best care and tender treatment.

There is always something to do in Living Waters. But there is always someone to do it.

In such a place, how does one help? What can you add to a City of God? It was then that I realised that this position itself would disqualify me from contributing. As long as I saw myself as being apart from it, as being from "Singapore", as being there to "give" (as though I was better off), I had nothing to offer. How could I offer anything? However, if I became a part of the family, everything made sense. As part of the family, I need not have a special meeting, delivered in a profound way to impact them. In fact, if I were given a special meeting, I would not even be able to carry it out properly. But as part of the family, I just had to do what I could. I cannot revamp the kitchen system, but I could wash a dish. I could not introduce a new curriculum, but I could teach a child or help a lesson. I could not even conduct a Sunday School class (unlike our talented team member), but I can sing a song, staple rubber bands and be beaten up as a failed Singa. I cannot declare God's Word, but I can hold a child to show him / her that they are loved...

Truly, building God's Kingdom is not difficult.

It was not a school which we painted there - it was God's school. It was not a training center that we cleaned, we were cleaning God's house and Sanctuary. It was not a brick we made, we were building the city of God. It was not a child we were playing with, we were making Saints.

Where the Spirit of God is, there is freedom and joy. How many children in Singapore are as happy as those there? How many adults have jobs that give as much meaning as the missionaries? How many tribes will be impacted because these children will go and bring back the gospel message to them? I am sure many Sunday School Teachers will give their left hand to have their classes and children like those in Living Waters.

It is more real than this illusion which we live in.

Would all these fade away like a dream,
drowned by routines, stiffled by the everyday, smothered to an ember? It remains to be seen. May the Lord fan this into flames. And to thank Him for this privellege of allowing us to build His house.
- Zhuang Mao





1 comment:

  1. What an amazing testimony!! Keep it up John Mark!! :)

    ReplyDelete