Thursday, May 6, 2010

His Love @ Living Waters

MISSION is a big word that doesn’t really seem to fit into my small world. It seems noble, far and unreachable. I admire missionaries who possess all the qualities to save the world. Pastors and leaders are always screaming this tagline “They need the best people out there!” I felt intimidated. I’m definitely not the best. Great. I’m out of the picture. This whole perspective in my 6 years of Christian life came tumbling down after this trip. I’m still not the best person, but God makes me realize that it’s not about me being the best, it’s all about Him! He has caused that stirring and restlessness to convince me to go for this trip. He has given me His peace despite of the uncertainty of the process and outcome. I could almost hear Him whisper “Let Me show you what I can do!”

Interestingly, God has started showing me right at the start of the journey. His journey mercy despite the flight was delayed for 2 hours; His intervention at the customs that enabled us to retrieve all the donated items successfully; His providence of a wonderful place to house our big team of 22 to spend the night in; and His divine appointment of each individual in this mission team. The diverse personalities in this body of Christ had somehow added spice and an unspoken challenge for this trip. I waited in quiet anticipation on how I could fit in this unique genre as I travelled along the bumpy road in that small and threatening run down bus.

When I first set my eyes on Living Waters, I couldn’t believe what I saw. I was half expecting some old and run down buildings or huts (maybe the 11-hour bus ride had made me succumb to a lower expectation?). Instead, I was greeted with relatively new, cool and sturdy buildings; built and semi-built. As our leader, David excitedly pointed to the new structure at the entrance of Living Waters, I could finally understand his excitement. The place had been expanding every minute. These buildings stood coolly, reflecting God’s marvelous works and His shelter for the children and people living there. I surveyed the whole area with wonder and amazement. It was hard to imagine that this very ground that I stood was once a forest 7 years ago. All these existed because of a vision that God has given to Ps Ronny, and his incredible faith to act upon that vision. He shared testimonies after testimonies on how God always managed to provide all the necessary funds and resources in the very last minute. His faith allowed God to entrust him with greater things that one can ever imagine. I wonder how often I have limited my faith in Him, containing Him in a box. As written in the book of James, “Faith without works is dead”. How true it is! It’s not about having that perfect faith, but having that faith that allow and trust God to accomplish greater things in my life is something I need to learn about. Awesome! :)



The children called him “Bapak”. Ps Ronny was the father of Living Waters. Though there were as many as 400 of them, his love extended to each and every little one. He lectured them gently but firmly from the correct usage of the various cloths to washing the dishes thoroughly. Even for that 1 in the 400 who had a hearing problem, he went all the way to get a better hearing aid simply because he loved him. Like any other doting father, he wanted to provide the best for his children; sufficient food, cozy bedrooms, schools, medical clinic and even sending them to the university. There were much more examples of such great love which were left unspoken but deeply felt. His children also loved and respected him dearly. It suddenly occurred to me that this was not an ordinary welfare organization or an orphanage, but a big and cozy home with an ever growing family! God’s love was magnificent in this place. The Heavenly Father magnified His love and the earthly father displayed His love. Cool and awesome combination that I have ever seen!



Simplicity is sweet and beautiful. The children led a simple, disciplined, happy and contented life. They followed a daily routine of attending prayer meeting at 5.30am every weekday morning, having lunch at 12pm and dinner at 6pm. They were punctual and sat in organized and well laid tables during meals. They waited for grace to be said and “Selamat Makan” before they started eating. They waited patiently for their father to speak at every meal. They had meat in their meals only once a week. They squealed with joy when their father rewarded them with new or rather, donated clothes for keeping their bedrooms neat and tidy. They sang and jumped with all their hearts during worship. They played with insects, sand, trees or whatever they could find there or simply just running around. They received simple birthday gifts (such as a can of coke) with tears of joy and gratitude. They were curious and friendly towards strangers. On our very first night, the bolder ones would advance to play with us while the rest would stand at a distance and smile at us shyly. They attempted to make conversation to connect with us despite our limited languages. They were just so innocent and real that made them lovable. As I looked at them, I reflected how often I had complained about the lack of wants, how often I had coveted for what I don’t have. I felt ashamed watching as they lived their lives in pure confidence and secured in their Father’s love. How I wish for this simplicity in my life!



I did my best in whatever work I was assigned to, from making racks to cleaning the medical clinic and fighting spiders in the process. I felt the joy and satisfaction just by being a little part in His magnificent works there. Never mind about the bruise on my legs, never mind about the blisters on my hands, never mind about the strong detergent smell in the drinking cups, never mind about the brown tap water, never mind about sweating in the sun and draining that muddy and mosquito-infested water from that semi-built building, never mind about the minor friction with some of the team mates, I’m just too happy and thankful that God has brought me here to learn, to be reminded of His great works, His goodness and His love. I’m just too happy to be that small tiny piece in His big picture. I’m just too happy because He has shown me! It is time to start trusting Him for greater things. :) - Cheryl

1 comment:

  1. Wow your team looks like you guys learnt and experienced a lot there! So did my team (read Kimberly, Pearl's posts just before your team's) that's my team!! - Kimberly

    ReplyDelete